Tuesday, October 25, 2016

9 Ways You Can Help Your Anxious Child


May 25, 2015 — that’s the specific date my daughter’s anxieties began seemingly from out of nowhere. Just before bed that night, she expressed worry about getting the stomach virus that was spreading in her classroom.

The anxieties spread to worrying every ache and sniffle, constantly washing hands to avoid germs. Next concerns about schoolwork and social nuances at school developed. Insomnia set in, as did endless conversations that began with her asking, “What if?” Like a sweater, I was watching my 10-year-old daughter unravel right before my eyes.

Fast forward 14 months, and my now 11-year-old still suffers from anxiety, but she and our family are managing it much better. Here are nine tips that are helping, and might help you, too!

1. Remind Yourself That It’s Not Their Fault

My daughter doesn’t want to be anxious. Blaming someone for having anxiety is like holding a diabetic at fault for their inability to process sugars.

2. Allow Yourself Permission to Be Frustrated 

Even accidents make people upset. Frustration is an emotion that needs to be allowed.

3. Try to Not Get Upset in Front of Them

When I feel frustrations mounting, I take a walk or find a quiet place away by myself.

4. Find Mutually Agreeable Time-Out Terms

When I say, “I need some space. I’m walking away,” that’s a signal to my daughter that I feel myself getting upset and need some time alone to cool down. She has a similar time-out term with me. We both respect what these phrases mean

Read the full article here:   http://parentingsquad.com/9-ways-you-can-help-your-anxious-child


No comments:

Post a Comment